SAFETY, QUALITY AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION POLICY.
FSUE “Atomflot” as the atomic icebreaking and maintenance fleet operator strives for the best quality services provided to its clients. At the very same time our immediate priority is to ensure all kinds of safety:
- nuclear safety
- radiation safety
- protection of environment
- navigation safety
- industrial safety
The Company shares the provisions set in the Resolution A.491(12) adopted by IMO Assembly on November 19, 1981 regarding the safety of nuclear commercial vessels operations.
The required safety and quality level is achieved with the following principles:
- Fleet operating conditions are maintained at a high level in accordance with national and international requirements;
- The Company operates in accordance with the demands of our clients and other interested parties as well as with legislation and inner regulations regarding the System of safety and quality control;
- The Company employs competent personnel that realize the responsibility for safety, quality and environmental protection.
- Professional training is provided to all staff.
- Control over the implementation of national and international requirements in the sphere of safety and environmental protection.
- FSUE “Atomflot” regularly carries out the analysis of Safety and Quality Control System.
- Analysis results are used for prevention of emergency situations.
- FSUE “Atomflot” constantly improves the Safety and Quality Control System.
The Company assumes a commitment to conduct business with strict observation of national and international requirements in the sphere of environmental protection and prevention of environment contamination.
It is each employee’s duty to ensure safety, prevent accidents and provide environmental protection.
FSUE “Atomflot” management is responsible for the results of Safety and Quality Control System implementation and allocates the necessary resources.
Nuclear Safety is the quality of nuclear steam-producing plant (provided by the total of reactor properties, technical condition of the plant, managerial procedures and skill of the maintenance staff) that excludes nuclear accident. Nuclear accident is an accident implying the danger of exposure to radiation or contamination of the environment with radioactive materials. Such accident can happen as a result of uncontrollable chain reaction of nuclear fuel fission or unauthorized chain reaction when the reactor is recharged, fuel is transported or deposited and when repair or assembling works are being done.
To provide nuclear safety the corresponding measures are introduced:
- Equally effective protection channels are duplicated and are triggered independently of each other thus providing the safety of the whole system;
- Protection system is constructed and assembled to exclude the spread of failure of one system to another or their simultaneous malfunction due to mechanical destruction of the equipment.
Mechanisms and equipment that supply coolant to a steam-generator are duplicated and reliable power backup is introduced. A reactor shut-down coolant system is included into the nuclear steam-producing plant where the principle of natural circulation of coolant mediums is implemented.
All means of nuclear accidents prevention must meet strict requirements, but the strictest are the ones in the field of emergency protection which is the last safety line.
The Nuclear Safety Division of FSUE “Atomflot” is responsible for the nuclear safety provision while vessels with atomic power plants have skilled specialists licensed by Rostechnadzor (Russian Technical Control Agency) to work at the atomic energy facilities.
State policy in the field of nuclear and radiation safety is aimed at gradual reduction of anthropogenic influence of the atomic energy on the population and environment and decrease in the exposure to natural sources of ionization.
When the world’s first atomic icebreaker “Lenin” was commissioned in 1959, the matters of marine environment safety, environment protection and radiation safety of personnel and population in the areas close the atomic fleet homeport became the priority issue for the management and staff of FSUE “Atomflot”. During a fifty years period the immense experience of accident-free atomic icebreaking fleet operations was accumulated, recommendations how to decrease the exposure when conducting nuclear and radiation works were developed and adopted, personnel training was greatly improved.
FSUE “Atomflot” has a Radiation Safety and Environmental Control Division that is responsible for industrial control over radiation safety during operations with atomic vessels, nuclear reactors, nuclear fuel and radioactive wastes. Highly qualified employees of this division are equipped with necessary measuring equipment.
The Division includes:
- Radiation safety divisions onboard the atomic vessels;
- Coastal facilities radiation safety control sector;
- Environment radiation monitoring laboratory;
- Ecological monitoring laboratory;
- Individual radiation monitoring laboratory;
- Radiochemistry laboratory;
- Laboratory of radiation monitoring equipment repair and inspection
Protection of Environment
Safety of personnel, population and environment is the matter of radioecology. The Company has installed a system of radiation monitoring of the environment which was designed by the Institute of Safe Development of Atomic Energy of Russian Academy of Sciences (IBRAE RAS). The system is used for continuous control over radiation background at the enterprise and is meant to prevent potential accidents in the first place. The monitoring results serve as the basis for arrangements aimed at staff and population protection in case of an emergency.
The air, atmospheric precipitations, gamma radiation, sea-floor sediments, water (open water, fresh water) are monitored at the enterprise and in the water area. Underground waters are monitored through specially drilled wells.
In the areas close to FSUE “Atomflot” (Belokamenka, Cape of Abram, Mishukovo) and in the monitored area the following readings are taken: amount of radionuclides in the air and in the atmospheric precipitations; soil; sea-floor sediments; food produced locally (including seafood); sea water and seaweeds; external radiation and surface contamination.
The results of radioecological monitoring demonstrate that the average power of gamma radiation exposure zone in the five kilometers radius around FSUE “Atomflot” is 8-18 microroentgen per hour which matches the natural background common for Murmansk region. Radioactivity of precipitations, soil and plants, agricultural products, sea-floor sediments and the biota of the Kola Bay are at the common background level.
Emission of radionuclides into the environment is at the level of 10-15% of the maximum allowed.
The State Ecological Expertise of the Federal Service for Ecological, technological and atomic control concluded on July 10, 2008 that FSUE “Atomflot” work in the atomic energy sphere presents no additional risks to the population and the influence on the environment is extremely small.
Maritime Safety Service is responsible for the safety of navigation at FSUE “Atomflot”. This policy in Russia is based upon the order of the Ministry of Transport #63 dated July 26, 1994 which introduced the International Safety Management Code (ISMC).
ISMC demands that the companies develop, adopt and follow a System of Safety Management (SSM) in order to meet the following functional requirements:
1. Environmental Protection and Safety Policy;
2. Instructions and procedures for safe ship running and environment protection in accordance with the international law and legislation of the flag state;
3. Implementation of the set scope of authority and communication between personnel on-shore, at sea and inside the divisions.
4. Procedures of notification about accidents and non-compliance with ISMC regulations.
5. Procedures describing emergency preparedness and actions in case of an emergency.
6. Procedures describing inner audits and revision of management.
The same document orders ship owners to appoint a manager responsible for control over observation of the requirements of safety and pollution prevention during ship running and for the necessary assistance to the crew in order to ensure non-accident work.
To comply with these requirements FSUE “Atomflot” has Maritime Safety Service which consists of 5 officers: Head of Service, Chief Navigator, two counselor captains and leading specialist of SSM.
Industrial safety is the condition when a person and society are protected against accidents at dangerous industrial facilities and against the consequences of these accidents.
FSUE “Atomflot” management realizes in full its civil responsibility for life and health of people and considers labour safety, industrial and fire safety to be compulsory condition to achieve the company’s goals and to be among the most effective enterprises in the atomic energy sphere in Russia.
The Company uses every available resource to provide labour, industrial and fire safety.
The Division of Industrial Safety of the Department of Industrial Safety and Reliability is charged with the provision of industrial and labour safety.
- to achieve zero-accident labour conditions and exclude emergency situations and an outbreak of fire.
- to provide safe and healthy labour conditions for the employees.
- to prevent occupational deceases.
1. Human life and health are above any industrial achievements and economic results.
There can be no compromise for the reason of production or profit when it concerns life and health of personnel. Every manager of FSUE “Atomflot” is directly responsible for the safety of employees.
2. Integration of the System of Safety Management into the production management.
We adopt the most effective systems of Labour Protection Management, Industrial and Fire Safety which are aimed at continuous improvement of work and results of the Company where it is possible and economically expedient.
3. Any accident can be prevented.
We identify, assess and manage labour, industrial and fire risks constantly. Each accident and emergency situation has its reasons and can be prevented if those reasons are removed in time. We stop any work if there is danger to life.
4. Observance of the laws is an obligatory and necessary condition of FSUE “Atomflot” work.
We provide total correspondence of our work to Russian legislation and inner regulations in the sphere of labour, industrial and fire safety.
5. Competent and responsible staff is the main condition of safe work.
We train and instruct our personnel and employees of contractors systematically to let them understand industrial risks and learn safe ways of fulfilling their duties. Each employee is personally responsible for observation of safety regulations.
6. Support and stimulation of employees’ safe work and conduct.
We support any activity aimed at employees’ safe conduct and stimulate initiative to improve labour, industrial and fire safety.
7. Mutually beneficial relations with suppliers and contractors.
We choose suppliers and contractors based on their ability to render services that comply with FSUE “Atomflot” regulations of labour, industrial and fire safety.
8. Monitoring labour, industrial and fire safety indices.
We set, measure and assess the indices of labour, industrial and fire safety. We improve results in labour, industrial and fire safety constantly due to analysis, development and adaptation of corrective measures.
Industrial Safety and Reliability Department.
Industrial Safety and Reliability Department (ISRD) is a structural unit of FSUE “Atomflot” which implements the Company’s policy in the sphere of safety and quality and solves the following tasks:
- Ensure safe and reliable maintenance of power and engineering plants, hardware components in accordance with maintenance, administrative and regulatory documents and plans of the Company;
- Prepare construction and engineering plans of the administration;
- Control production discipline;
- Quality control;
- Control industrial and fire safety rules;
- Organize, manage and control labour safety;
- Investigate and analyze violation of technical maintenance rules;
- Develop arrangements aimed at prevention of violations at work and elimination of undesired consequences.
Department of Industrial Safety and Reliability consists of:
1. Engineering Support Division.
1.1. Engineering Division:
1.2. Welding Division:
- Design Office;
- Service and Technology Office;
- Vibration Diagnostics Laboratory;
- Engineering Information, Manuals and Literature Office.
2. Industrial Safety Division.
- Technology Group;
- Welding Laboratory;
- Testing and Nondestructive Check Laboratory.
3. Technical Control Division.
Main lines of activity of ISRD divisions:
1. Engineering Support Division:
1.1. Engineering Division:
- Licensing operations;
- Control of licenses terms observation;
- Participation in violations investigation committee;
- Coordination of Company’s divisions’ activity regarding technology and engineering matters.
- Design and technological preparation of production;
- Arrangements aimed at production quality improvement and effective use of production capacities;
- Development of technology aimed at improvement of industrial safety, technical operations and repair of atomic fleet.
Engineering division has accumulated multiyear experience in the field of atomic fleet repair and modernization. Highly qualified specialists of the engineering division (design engineers and technology engineers) provide technical support of all kinds of ship repair works done by the Company including ones requiring licensed “Compass” and “AutoCAD” software.
The Company’s archive has a set of design plans and specifications to support repair and maintenance of atomic vessels. There is also a complex of modern copying-duplicating equipment:
- engineering system Aficio 240W - copying, printing and scanning large format documents with digital quality 914*3600 mm size with image reduction 25-71% and increasing 141-400%; 141-400%;
- engineering system Xerox 6204 – copying, printing and scanning large format documents with digital quality 965*15000 mm size;
- multifunction Xerox WorkCentre 5655 and Xerox WorkCentre 7242.
Vibration Diagnostics Laboratory is equipped with measuring software package for vibration diagnostics, balancing and laser alignment, hardware for measuring, processing and analysis of vibration signals. The hardware and software can be used for dynamic balancing of rotor equipment in its own bearings and laser alignment.
The Complex includes:
- Vibration analyzer SD-21 in its standard set with “Udar” software;
- System of laser alignment of shafts Easy-Laser D-525;
- PC-based software.
Measurement instrumentation has #34812-07 assigned by the State Register of Measurement Instrumentation and approved in Russian Federation. Vibration Laboratory staff passed through special Rostechnadzor training in 2008 to qualify in vibration diagnostics method of non-destructive control and have corresponding certificates of 2nd level specialists.
List of operations performed by the Vibration Diagnostics Laboratory: Control of vibration parameters of equipment in accordance with State Standards and Russian Maritime Register of Shipping regulations (for maritime equipment), defect identification and forecast of its progress, dynamic balancing and laser alignment of equipment:
1. Vibration diagnostics of hardware (electric motors, generators, pumps, fans, etc.) by spectral analysis of direct spectra and spectra of enveloping curves.
2. Vibration diagnostics of particular bearing units by enveloping curves and impact momentum.
3. Measuring of general vibration level.
4. Profile characterization of bearing supports.
5. Dynamic balancing of rotors in its own bearings.
6. Check of shaft alignment conditions.
7. Laser alignment of equipment including alignment of mechanisms with horizontal and vertical shaft positioning and alignment of shaft lines with up to 9 couplings.
1.2 Welding Division
- technical management of welding works;
- development of welding manuals;
- development and adaptation of arrangements aimed at improvement of quality, reliability and effectiveness of welded structures;
- control over maintenance discipline when welding is in progress;
- welding equipment adjusting;
- testing and non-destructive control of materials, products and systems.
Specialists of welding division are certified for the following types of non-destructive control and tests of basic metal, welds and overlaying welding:
- radiographic control (RC);
- ultrasonic control (UC);
- ultrasonic measuring of thickness (UMT);
- capillary control (CC);
- magneto-powder control (MPC)
- leakage control (LC);
- mechanical and technological tests;
- intercrystalline corrosion exposure tests (ICET);
- ferritic phase determination in austenitic materials.
- welding and overlaying welding during production, repair and maintenance of shipboard equipment, pipelines, reinforcement and hull structures;
- automatic overlaying welding with special powder materials;
- gas-thermal spraying of solid of revolution (pump shafts, engine rotors, etc.);
- plasma cutting of carbon and alloyed steel, copper and its alloys, titanium and aluminum alloys;
- automatic argon arc welding of inner mechanisms of steam generators and sealing plates of special containers.
2. Industrial Safety Division:
3. Technical Control Division:
- arrangement and control of labour, industrial and fire safety regulations;
- preventive control of job-related accidents, occupational diseases and production factors diseases;
- record and analysis of conditions and causes of on-job injuries, occupational diseases and production factors diseases;
- record and analysis of conditions and causes of accidents, fires, inflamings and emergencies;
- arrangement of workplace certification for working conditions, works certifications for labour protection and further control;
- development of plans, programs aimed at improving labour conditions and protection, industrial and fire safety in cooperation with other divisions;
- arrangement of industrial accidents investigation.
- Company’s service and products quality control;
- participation in incoming control of materials, equipment, componentry, spare parts quality;
- arrangement of record and analysis of reject;
- development and adaptation of measures aimed at prevention of inconsistency in products, processes and quality system.